Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Thing 8: Sharing Your Creations

This Thing is about sharing content. This is good. Some years ago we went to sharing electronic folders at work, the idea being that someone could create a document, and someone else on campus could add to it. We had problems with the permissions across departments and campuses, and eventually moved on to other technologies. (Note: I can't see the "Web 2.0 Tools in Your Classroom" slideshow because I don't have the right version of Flash Player. Grrr. Not my fault.)

I'm a little surprised to realize that I don't have recent Powerpoints or slide presentations that are just mine. For my library instruction sessions, I've gone much more to the joys of live demos, rather than using slides. And the slides that I have done are group projects, so I don't feel right in posting them. So I've done a quick-and-dirty slide show just to test SlideShare, waiting for it to load...

Well, here it is, my Slide Show for 23 Things on a Stick. And guess what? I still don't have Flash Player 9, so I can't see it!

I can see that sharing like this can be great. While some conferences (Computers in Libraries is one) makes an effort to get presenters to post their slides on the conference website, others do not. I know that at the recent Special Libraries Association conference in Seattle, some people mentioned that they would be posting their materials there. And I can certainly see it if you're doing this collaboratively, with people at a distance. I'm a little annoyed about the Flash Player business. I wonder how many others run into this roadblock? I assume when my computer is upgraded later this summer that this won't be a problem, but what would I do otherwise?

No comments: