Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Thing 11: Tagging and Del.icio.us

I have heard a lot about Del.icio.us for some time, and now it's time to take the plunge.... OK, so it wants me to close my browser windows after I've installed the Del.icio.us buttons. Good grief. I had to do this yesterday, when the network rebooted, and some things didn't come back on my machine. Don't these systems realize that I have multiple brower sessions open at any given time? (seven at the moment, between two browsers.) Plus I'm supposed to be blogging about this while I do it. Hmmm. So I have to log off, and come back to this.

Later - I'll have to come back to this when I have more time to explore it. I put in a few bookmarks, and it's nice to have the easy-to-get-to tabs now. When I get more of my bookmarks in, I can use this as I go between our campus libraries, as well as at our reference desk (where the computer is occasionally re-imaged, so one's bookmarks go poof.)

At the recent SLA conference, I attended a session about making your content more accessible, and how you should make your content as searchable as possible. I asked, what about those libraries whose major content is licensed, and not owned by them? The panelist suggested creating Del.icio.us lists. I can see this, especially for quick reading lists, projects, assignments, etc. It would be interesting to try it at a larger level. I wonder what current college students think of this - is it "old" technology to them already? It would also be good in a ready reference setting - sources to answer a particular question, assignment, etc. The copyright thing does make this tricky.

I poked around in the Minn23 account a bit. Thanks to whoever posted the list from PLA of librarians in literature (mysteries, etc.) That was fun! I'm always on the lookout for reading list.

I'll be back another time; I have some reference questions to work on.

1 comment:

Marianne Hageman said...

Sure enough, I lost my Delicious info on my browser when I got my new computer. I'll have to add it back (sigh.)