Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Thing 14: LibraryThing

Aha! I thought. I'm one up on this Thing! I played with LibraryThing a year ago, so I should be just find. And how long do you think it took me to FIND my LibraryThing account? Don't ask. And LibraryThing doesn't require an email address, so I couldn't email them to ask. And then Life Happened again. Anyway, I found my LibraryThing information (from December 2006, further back than I thought.) While I have 40-odd titles in there already, I took this opportunity to add a few more. You get 200 books for free, then you can pay $10.00 for a year, or $25.00 for life. LibraryThing is very cool, definitely what I'd call a "killer app" (as in "killer application," something to really get you to use a computer product.) If I had more time, I would be putting in a lot more of my books.

I know of a couple of colleagues who use LibraryThing for collection development, adding the library's new books in their subject to LibraryThing and encouraging faculty to look and make suggestions. (Obviously, I haven't gotten there yet, but it's an interesting idea.) While the students I work with don't use books very much, we do publish a summer reading list which would lend itself to LibraryThing very well.

I was going to try adding a LibraryThing widget to this blog, but I'm still leaning on the "do I really want the world to know this?" side of things, so I'll abstain.

No comments: