Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Thing 16: Student 2.0 Tools

This Thing considers some tools developed by the University of Minnesota, Minitex, and MnLink: the Assignment Calculator (for undergraduate students) and the Research Project Calculator (for secondary students.) I have had my eye on the Assignment Calculator for a long time, and had it on my "wish list" for our library website. Why can't we use this, or at least link to it? I've asked more than once. But it's never risen to the top of anyone's priority list.

So now I have a chance to look at it in some detail. I didn't realize that it links to content beyond the U of M (UNC, for example.) That's interesting, and very collaborative. I have one problem with the layout of their steps: on the timeline it produced for me, finding and using websites comes up as Step 7. Why is this so late in the process, out of synch with how most students do research today? Yes, it makes sense to look at books early on - they take time to get, to read, to take notes, etc. But not addressing the fact that many students START their research with the web, it's like not addressing the elephant in the room. (And does it make sense not to address evaluating sources until Step 10, AFTER you've written the first draft? Oh, well.)

With that said, there's a lot of good information here. I like the fact that you can get email reminders for the project (I wonder if students today would prefer text message reminders?) I'm not sure how I would use it with the students I work with (mostly upper division and graduate students.) This would be great in connection with an English writing class, or an introductory class in your major field in connection with a specific project.

The Research Project Calculator is a fantastic idea - I could have used something like that myself. I suspect that my daughter (she just finished fourth grade) has brought home some sheets like this. Hmmm....

Could we use this for project management at work? Perhaps. It would take some adjustment. I haven't had a chance to use some of the commercial project management tools that people talk about (some people assume you have access to this and understand project management concepts, even if you've never been exposed to them.) It's worth pondering.

Oops, I have to go to a meeting now - on staff training!

No comments: