Thursday, July 3, 2008

Thing 5: More Flickr Fun

Pewter Ransom Font M A R Pewter Uppercase Letter I Attention Enfants ! (détail) n-sf3 N E

I'm not sure how much fun I'm having with Flickr. It seems to take me too longer to figure out how to do things. I can hard-code html if I have to, so I must be trying too hard, or something. Let's see if the Fun Flickr thing copies over the way I want it to....

Err. The above is from the Spell with Flickr feature - my name, in Flickr images. It's kind of fun, actually. But for some reason, Blogger loaded it at the top of the page, rather than where my cursor was. And when I copied the code, I got twice as much code as I needed, so I had two sets of letters, and some messed-up code. But I was able to go into the "Edit Html" tab and delete what I didn't want. I wanted to do the puzzle one, but it took a while to find a photo on my computer that I could safely assume was not copyrighted, and then the service wanted me to create an account. Since I'm planning to set up Facebook and LinkedIn accounts this summer, I don't need another account right now. ;^)

If I had more time, it would be fun to play with the Yahoo! Travel Trip Planner (listed under "Look here" in the first paragraph of Thing 5.) We're going to Denver in August, and no one has done a Yahoo Travel mashup with Denver in it, yet. Recently I saw a mashup for this year's ALA in Anaheim, which had maps and photos of the conference location, information on local restaurants, etc. That looked VERY handy. As someone who goes to science fiction conventions, I appreciate how hard it can be to find some of that local information (what IS the nearest grocery store, drug store, or copy center outside the hotel? what about good cheap food?)

Sharing photos of objects (buildings, signs, sights, etc.) is fun. I'm still a bit uncertain on the "sharing pictures of people" part, especially children. How we could we use these tools at my library? Advertising/promotion for sure. A mashup might be a nice addition to the directions and maps we have on our website. On to the next Thing!

*****************
Well, not yet, I guess. I just got this error message from Blogger: "Your HTML cannot be accepted: Tags cannot enclose tags.." etc. Oh, well. I told it to ignore the html error, and it did.



No comments: