Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Thing 23: Final Thoughts on 23 Things on a Stick

I went to the Minnesota State Fair yesterday, so now I feel truly ready to complete "23 Things on a Stick" in the proper spirit. ;^)

What did I find most useful, and most likely to continue using?
  • Bloglines: I had a Bloglines account before, but it needed some tweaking for me to use it effectively. I adjusted what feeds I'm getting, and I'm more committed to using it on a regular basis.
  • Social networks: I'm excited about LinkedIn, Facebook, and Ning. They look like exciting ways to keep connected. I need to investigate ways to contact faculty through LinkedIn. I don't think I mentioned in this blog about reconnecting this summer with a friend from 20 years ago (we ran into each other, and she recognized me.) I suspect that with all of the new ways for people to keep in touch with each other, it will be less likely that people totally lose track of their friends. It will be interesting to see ten and twenty years from now if/how technology proves me right, or wrong, or "well,...."
  • LibraryThing and YouTube: So far, little practical connection to work (although there are possibilities); they're just fun.

I did a little connecting with others during this time, but I would have liked more. It would be nice to do this with a group of colleagues (at my place of work or in the greater community), but that didn't work out this time. I will continue to talk about this at work, and see if I can stir some interest and support if there's a next-time-go-round.

If there were a follow-up to 23 Things, I would definitely be interested in participating. I didn't participate in the first go-round as it coincided too much with the busy times of my academic year, but I'm a little more flexible in summer. I would like a reason to work on a collaborative wiki and/or map site (a la what people are developing for convention visitors, or vacationers), but I suppose if I found time to volunteer to work on a conference, I'd get that kind of experience! It might be nice to get a nudge to try Twitter.

One word or one sentence about the experience: Get the nudge you need to learn about Library 2.0!

Thank you very much to the opportunity.

No comments: