Monday, August 18, 2008

Back again with Thing 18: YouTube/Online Video

I've been gone for awhile (mostly vacation in Denver, Colorado), but it's time to move on to Thing 18. YouTube and I are old friends. I've watched bits of old television shows (Monty Python, Star Trek, Mathnet), commercials, library-related videos, and more. I've seen on various websites, LiveJournal, and blogs that you can embed a video, so now I get to try it (woo-hoo!)

And it's not going to be just ANY video. As a Doctor Who fan (SciFi Channel site, BBC site), I can't resist linking to a Doctor Who video. In 2007, David Tennant and Peter Davison (the current Doctor and a former Doctor) teamed up to produce "Time Crash," a special for Children in Need:





WELL, how cool is that!

I wish I had the technology to make my own videos, but I don't. I think it would be good for our library to produce one (and maybe we have, and I'm just not aware of it.) Some academic libraries are developing these for student orientation, or a "produce your own library video" contests for students to enter. Fun stuff.

I think to get a good library promotional video, you need some level of production values - a decent script, people that can act or perform reasonably, music as well. You need to be something of an artist to produce this, which I'm not (sigh.) I also prefer videos with a decent picture and sound (not always easy for those copy-of-a-copy for old TV things. Sometimes, you take what you can get.) Every now and then that old Copyright Fairy whispers in my ear, "You know, those film companies (TV companies, etc.) don't like this idea" - but I think some of them are learning to roll with the punches.

I almost lost this post once, so I'm going to publish it now. Then, on to the next Thing!

No comments: