Thursday, August 21, 2008

Thing 21: Beyond MySpace: Other Social Networks

This Thing covers other social networks such as Gather, WebJunction, and Ning. I was sure I'd been in Ning before, but it didn't recognize me. And once I got in, when I moved to another section, it didn't seem to recognize me. I've signed in three times so far (maybe it's just having a bad day.) Let's see if I can capture the code....


View my page on 23 Things on a Stick

I looked briefly at some of the other social sites, and again, if I had more time, it might be interesting to explore more. My problem is that I have TOO MANY interests (books, gardening, film, etc.) How to choose?

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I joined LinkedIn the other week. It seems to be a good social networking site for professionals, and has some "cred" at my institution. One of my coworkers teased me yesterday about not responding to him yet in Facebook. I'll get to it soon. I like the fact that you can put in information about what you like (favorite books, films, quotes, etc.), but part of me is still dubious about this. How much do I want the greater universe to know about me? How much personal information do I really want floating out there?

Well, I've spent an hour on this today, and I'd better get back to updating my web guides. I'd like them to be finished when fall classes start in less than two weeks, and I've still got a stack to work on.

Be seeing you!

No comments: