Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Computers in Libraries 2009

Amongst my recent traveling adventures, I attended Computers in Libraries 2009 in Arlington, Virginia. Some highlights:
  • Mobile is hot: there were sessions on mobile searching, applications for mobile devices, and mention of websites that will let you develop a mobile-friendly version of your own website.
  • Twitter is still hot (at least in some circles.)
  • What do you think is Facebook’s fastest-growing demographic, as of January? I’ll put the answer at the end of this message, so you can think about it.
  • “Steal this code!” session: presentation on encouraging faculty to link to library content (in course management systems, etc.) by putting “cut and paste the code” info on your library website. They suggested “search the catalog” and “search databases” links. Here are some examples from Auraria and UM-Duluth.
  • Frederick County Public Library talked about Mobile Reference using Samsung mobile computers networked to library printers.
  • I went to a couple of presentations on getting/improving library content in course management systems, including customized portals and sending library content info to faculty that they can upload into their courses.
  • I also saw a couple of sessions on training and e-learning, for teaching/training library staff and patrons. I also attended some interesting sessions on using Web 2.0 tools for library content (Flickr for library tutorials, “Meebo me” widgets, podcasts and screencasts on library guides, etc.)
  • Townson University talked about their Sharepoint reference wiki (Powerpoint link.)
  • So, what do you think Facebook’s fastest-growing demographic was in January 2009? Seniors! I knew that was coming as soon as my mother-in-law joined Facebook. ;^)

2 comments:

Mikey said...

What's this, you posted in mid-week! You may confuse your regular fans.

Anonymous said...

Just got around to checking this, and I knew the answer!! MOM-in-law