Friday, January 9, 2009

What is Presearch?

One blog I like to scan on a regular basis is Karen Schneider's Free Range Librarian. Recently she had an interesting post on her Top Ten Words and Phrases for 2008, and the one that caught my attention was "presearch":

"Presearch: the informal Google/Wikipedia look-ups students do before digging into better resources (and yes, they do that!)"

That definition hasn't hit Wikipedia yet (maybe a good thing?), but I like it. Years ago I worked with some folks at our campus Writing Center, and I remember they emphasized "prewriting," the writing that goes on as you're just getting started. It doesn't have to be perfect, and it's not unlike brainstorming on paper. I think this is an intriguing idea, and it will be interesting to see if the term/definition catch on.

No comments: