Friday, January 23, 2009

This 'n' That

  • Update on my Computer Woes: after taking a turn for the worse, today my computer seems better. Yesterday was a mixed bag: my second Outlook personal folder came back, Outlook slowed to the occasional crawl, and my calendar reminders refused to work - which was where I started 2 weeks ago. However, a wonderful tech has worked on my machine, and when I logged in today the Terrible .DLL Message did not come back (although Outlook was slow to load again.) I'm crossing my fingers.
  • Ever since my earlier post on computer error messages, I've been saving examples for another fun-filled post. But now that I've been in DLL Hell, it's not so fun anymore. That blog posting will have to wait.
  • More Things on a Stick has opened for enrollment; that's still on my to-do list. Maybe today. They recommend using Firefox to do the Things, so I have to remember this. I've gone back and forth in the browser wars over the years, but I retreated some years ago when my institution said that they only supported Things Microsoft. (Which didn't stop me from installing Firefox on my newly-leased computer this summer.)
  • Web 2.0 hit our household last weekend: my husband discovered Facebook. (He did help me load a picture of myself to Facebook, which is nice. The picture I did months ago on this blog was the only digitized one I could find at the time, and it's of me and our dog.) He's still in the infatuation stage ("I have 24 friends!"), but he assures me that he'll settle down soon. I wonder...he's thinking about encouraging his mom to get on Facebook, that it might be a killer app for her. My killer app is my handheld, an antique Palm III Palm Pilot which has 3Com on its lid, bless its heart. I use it every day, and haven't migrated to the newer Palm that I was given by computer spouse some years ago because I can sync the old one at home, but not the new one.

Onward to the new week. I assume that once I get going on More Things, I'll be posting more often.

No comments: