Friday, June 12, 2009

End of the fiscal year

I'm sad (and surprised) to realize how long it's been since I've blogged. No good excuses, but the reasons include using up vacation time before the end of the fiscal year, reviewing databases that come up for renewal at this time, and summer projects. Today I have to work on another database renewal and my performance review. On the 2.0 front, I can report that a coworker and I are planning this summer to work together on some of the 23 Things.

In a totally different vein, I have to say that lately I've become more thoughtful about my writing style. I recently purchased a book for my daughter called Writing Magic: Creating Stories That Fly, by Gail Carson Levine. My daughter is a writer, and for her at age 11 this sounded like a good title. She hasn't read it yet, but I have. Among other things, Levine talks about what to include, and not include, in your writing (for example, appealing to the senses - what does the character hear? what does the character touch?) as well as the craft of writing. I find myself doing more tweaking of my sentences, to make them read more clearly. Maybe someday I'll be a writer after all.

1 comment:

Gail Carson Levine said...

Thank you! I'm so glad WRITING MAGIC was useful for you. Hope your daughter can use it too. I don't know if this is bad form, but I have a blog now too, where I'm posting weekly about writing. I'm trying to make my posts both kid and adult friendly. If you like, check it out at gailcarsonlevine.blogspot.com.