Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Thing 33: Travel 2.0

I kind of like this Thing, although I don't travel as much as many do. We've done a little more traveling recently as my husband now works for an airline and we can fly standby. I like Lonely Planet's Thorn Tree Travel Forum, since I buy Lonely Planet country books for our reference collection (I hope we can get them online soon.) LP books have good cultural information on countries. I was amused by the entry I read in the Travel 2.0 blog (written by two travel industry professionals.) It was about the re-branding of Montana, in a travel sense. As a business librarian, I'm often intrigued by things that re-brand, or feel the need to re-brand. "Montana's redefined brand is all about natural splendor, charming and vibrant towns, and invigorating experiences by day with relaxing hospitality in the evening." It just makes me smile.

I know I've seen various travel review/rating sites as I've done travel planning. Took a quick look at TripAdvisor, and it doesn't look like they list MY favorite hotel in San Francisco (maybe someday I'll remedy that.) Given my recent adventures with Google Maps, Mapness (travel journal plus Google Maps) looks interesting, but feels intimidating (it gets you started at the get-go, but that's how I crashed my browser with Google Maps.) I took a brief look at the Travel Mashup - Mashup Awards; I'm not excited about the Twitter winners, but the others seem worth a visit.

I'll think about adding the Lonely Planet site to our country information guide. My favorite of those I saw is still the Travel 2.0 blog. I seem to remember the Twin Cities was trying to re-brand before the Republicans came to town. I wonder how that turned out?

No comments: