Friday, July 24, 2009

This morning's hailstorm


We had hail this morning. It was worse in the cities around us, but we had weather enough to keep us home longer than usual and away from the windows (although we did have to look when the hail started.) They'd been talking about golfball-sized hail on the radio; we didn't quite get than, but some was definitely 3/4-inch size. I said, "I should use my new Netbook to take a picture or something." (Yes, the Netbooks are configured, and I've used mine a little bit. Her name is Harriet Jones, after the Doctor Who character.)

My husband said, "I'll take a picture on the digital camera, and you can upload it." So he walked my through it, first on Facebook and then onto my email (I hate the new Outlook web access; it's SO hard to look up an email address, and move around your email, grrr.) The Netbook has a slot on the bottom for a memory card, of the kind our camera uses. Now I'll see if I can upload it here. It worked! I feel so very 2.0 today.
A puzzlement: it's pretty easy with the right tools and a bit of help to do this sort of thing (upload a photo, make a video, etc.) Why does it seem so difficult at work? How much of it is my being used to the old, hard way of doing things, and how much is that I just don't have the right equipment?
P.S. My one fan asked what happened to my avatar. I didn't do anything to it, but it seems to be messed up. I'll have to try troubleshooting it sometime. And the paragraph spacing at the end of my post is being flaky - what's up with that?

No comments: