Friday, October 24, 2008

Mid-term break

It's mid-term break, so we're catching our breath a bit, and I'm ordering books for my subject areas (business and economics.) We use Blackwell's Collection Manager for a lot of our book selection, and can order Ebrary versions of electronic books. It's interesting to decide on an individual title level - should I request this book in electronic format, or not? A number of the titles I request aren't available electronically yet, or on the platform we've chosen. But I come up with a few each time I go in, and then I think. Is this the sort of book that will get a lot of use, and having it electronically will be a Godsend to patrons? Is this the sort of book that needs some "digesting," and not be in heavy demand, so it would be better to have it in paper? And I know that every title I order as an ebook won't be available to patrons in the rest of our consortium (unless they came into our library - I think they could use it then.) While these are not "life or death" decisions, they are challenging, and not something any of us contemplated back in the olden days in library school.

No comments: